We are preparing Ubuntu MATE Xenial Xerus (16.04) for distribution on April 21st, 2016 With this Final Beta pre-release, you can see what we are trying out in preparation for our next (stable) version.
People tell us that Ubuntu MATE is stable. You may, or may not, agree.
Ubuntu MATE Beta Releases are NOT recommended for:
- Regular users who are not aware of pre-release issues
- Anyone who needs a stable system
- Anyone uncomfortable running a possibly frequently broken system
- Anyone in a production environment with data or workflows that need to be reliable
Ubuntu MATE Beta Releases are recommended for:
- Regular users who want to help us test by finding, reporting, and/or fixing bugs
- Ubuntu MATE, MATE, and GTK+ developers
What changed since the Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Beta 1 release?
First of all, I’d like to extend my thanks to:
- Luke Horwell and Robin Thompson for for their work on Ubuntu MATE Welcome and Software Boutique.
Gunnar Hjalmarsson for his help making
gnome-language-selectorcompatible with Ubuntu MATE.
- Rico Tzschichholz for his help completing MATE integration for Synapse.
- Alexei Sorokin and Alberts Muktupāvels for their help improving MATE integration in Compiz.
- Timo Jyrinki, Daniel Holbach and Artur Rona for sponsoring package updates for Ubuntu MATE.
Also, thank you to everyone who has been testing Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Beta 1 and filing bug reports. It has really helped identify lots of little issues that we’ve worked hard to fix.
Here is what changed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Beta 2 since Beta 1.
- Added Synapse 0.2.99.2-1
- Synapse now features complete MATE integration. Synapse is installed but not active by default. It can be enabled using MATE Tweak.
- Updated to MATE Tweak 3.5.8
- Updated to Compiz 0.9.12.2+16.04.20160318-0ubuntu1
Improved MATE Compiz integration,
gtk-window-decoratorwill now use settings from Marco when Compiz detects it is running in a MATE session.
- Google Chrome and Chromium windows are now considered Compiz windows in fullscreen to avoid tearing.
- Refined the Compiz profile for MATE to correct some minor issues.
xsettingsfor improved xcursor theme support.
- Improved MATE Compiz integration,
- Updated to Plank 0.11
- Adds Docklets and also includes a new theme for Ubuntu MATE contributed by Holger Rueckershaeuser.
- Updated to MATE Menu 5.6.9
- While searching for an application, the top match will be launched when Enter is pressed. #1552363
- Updated to Ubuntu MATE Welcome 16.04.6
- Fix splash screen flicker. #1549072
- Fix Codec installation. #1558986
- Fix system information.
- Fix subscription updates.
- Fix Abobe Flash, Dropbox and RednoteBook installs.
- Fix Google Chrome repsoitory, i386 is no longer available.
- Fix LibreOffice upgrades.
- Add Ardour, ConvertAll, Corebird, FreeCiv, Gajim, GNOME Software, Gpick, Kodi, MuseScore, Nuvola Player, OBS Studio, Pinta, Simple Screen Recorder, Subsurface, SparkleShare, Time Tracker, Vivaldi, Wireshark and Zenmap to Software Boutique.
- Add English, Chinese, French, Spanish and German translations.
- Updated to Ubuntu MATE Artwork 16.04.5
- Icon rendering in menus is faster and icon inheritance is fixed.
- Corrected rendering of Mozo (menu editor).
- Update buttons and scrollbars so GTK2 and GTK3 themes are more closely aligned.
- Add resize area and shadows for CSD windows.
- Add minimal style for CSD windows running without a compositor.
- Add community contributed wallpaper Blissful Sky by Jordyn.
- Fixes #1552363, #1556618, #1549079, #1541929, #1551029, #1499521, #1442738, #1364073
- Updated to Ubuntu MATE Settings 16.04.4
- Auto-corrects pre-existing MATE incompatible input methods.
- Add modified
mate-panel.desktop, specific to Ubuntu MATE, to cater for the all supported compositors and disk encryption strategies. #1553070
- Add all optical video mime types and enable autoplay.
- Updated default settings for new version of Plank.
- Correct the GNOME Main Menu entry for
- Updated to
- Updated Ubuntu MATE Ubiquity Slideshow artwork.
- Fixed Python plug-ins for Caja
- Folder Color, Deja Dup Caja, Insync Caja and others now work again.
- Ensures a MATE compatible input method is selected by default. #1550325
- Replaced guvcview with Cheese.
Download Ubuntu MATE 16.04
Join the fun and experience a retrospective future.Download
Here are the known issues.
Ubuntu family issues
This is our known list of bugs that affect all flavours.
- Shutdown/Restart of the live session does not work in Virtualbox and VMWare guests.
- Swap partition may fail to be created when installing on a disk with existing partitions.
This is our known list of bugs that affect just Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu.
- The Blueman applet may crash on login on computer without Bluetooth or has Bluetooth disabled.
The issues outlined above will be resolved via updates.
- Running Linux on PowerPC can require some tinkering and the following are useful references.
You’ll also want to check the Ubuntu MATE bug tracker to see what has already been reported. These issues will be addressed in due course.
Is there anything you can help with or want to be involved in? Maybe you just want to discuss your experiences or ask the maintainers some questions. Please come and talk to us.
Ubuntu MATE 20.04 Release Notes
Ubuntu MATE 19.10 Release Notes
Ubuntu MATE 19.04 Final Release
Ubuntu MATE 18.04 and 19.04 for GPD Pocket & Pocket 2
Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Beta 1 for Raspberry Pi