If you didn’t already know, Ubuntu MATE is now an official member of the Ubuntu family.
Ubuntu MATE 15.04 is now available for download. This release builds on Ubuntu MATE Beta 2 and mostly fixes bugs.
As usual preparing this release of Ubuntu MATE has been a team effort. Thanks to Mike Gabriel, Vlad Orlov, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre, Martin Pitt, Adam Conrad and Daniel Holbach for helping get the Ubuntu MATE 15.04 release out the door. Thanks guys!
People tell us that Ubuntu MATE is stable. You may, or may not, agree.
Ubuntu MATE 15.04 new features
Here is a run down of some of the new features in Ubuntu MATE 15.04 compared to Ubuntu MATE 14.10:
- Ubuntu MATE 15.04 is an official Ubuntu flavour.
- Established a hardware partnership with Entroware.
- Added PowerPC and Raspberry Pi 2 as supported hardware architectures.
- Added a new default theme called Yuyo.
- Added user interface switching to MATE Tweak.
- Added fully integrated Compiz support.
- Added Tilda pull-down terminal.
- Added Folder Color.
- Added LightDM GTK Greeter Settings
- Added categories to the system menus.
- Added new community contributed desktop backgrounds.
- Updated to Linux 3.19
- Updated to MATE Desktop 1.8.2.
- Updated to Firefox 37.
- Updated to LibreOffice 4.4.
- Updated GTK 3.x themes to use full colour icons, like their GTK 2.x counter parts.
- Updated all themes to offer improved Client Side Decoration (CSD) support.
- Replaced Totem with VLC.
- Replaced Cheese with guvcview.
- …and many other minor improvements and bug fixes.
You can find the official Ubuntu release note here:
What changed since the Ubuntu MATE 15.04 Beta 2 release?
Here is what changed since Ubuntu MATE 15.04 Beta 2:
- Updated Rhythmbox to 3.1
- Updated Plank to 0.9.0
ubuntu-mate-artworkto 0.4.7 which adds improved Client Side Decoration (CSD) support.
- Fixed OEM install mode.
- Fixed Virtualbox guests only getting a resolution of 640x480.
- Fixed restarting the computer from the live session and upon completion of an install.
- Fixed installing the Virtualbox X.org drivers via the Additional Hardware utility.
- Fixed corrupt Korean fonts in Ubiquity.
- Fixed missing translations and incorrect window decorations when enabling Compiz in MATE Tweak.
- Fixed auto-mounting devices formatted with exFat and connected via USB.
- Fixed missing swap when using home directory encryption.
mate-terminal.wrapperso that home directory encryption passphrase can be recovered.
- Fixed assorted MATE bugs in Debian that have been synced with Ubuntu.
Ubuntu MATE 15.04 Download
Join the fun and experience a retrospective future.Download
It is not all good news however. Here are the known issues. All of which affect every Ubuntu flavour.
- You may not be able to enter your pass phrase if you use full disk encryption.
- Shutdown/Restart of the live session does not work in Virtualbox guest.
- Running Linux on PowerPC can require some tinkering and the following are useful references.
You’ll also want to check the Ubuntu MATE bug tracker to see what has already been reported. These issues will be addressed in due course.
You may find the following information useful, which is why we titled the section Useful Information since the information presented here is mostly useful.
Is there anything you can help with or want to be involved in? Maybe you just want to discuss your experiences or ask the maintainers some questions. Please come and talk to us.
The comment section for this old article has been closed. There were no comments. :(
Ubuntu MATE 20.04 Release Notes
Ubuntu MATE 19.10 Release Notes
Ubuntu MATE 19.04 Final Release
Ubuntu MATE 18.04 and 19.04 for GPD Pocket & Pocket 2
Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Beta 1 for Raspberry Pi