Earlier this week popey and I met up for a one day development sprint to try and make some headway with Ubuntu MATE Remix. We did manage to make a good deal of progress. So, what did we achieve?
- Development is now hosted on Launchpad - http://launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/
- The Ubuntu MATE Remix .iso images are now built using seeds and germinate. While this is currently only possible using a meta package in our PPA, this technique is consistent with the official Ubuntu flavour builds.
- Fixed the Ambiance and Radiance themes to work with MATE 1.8.1.
- The Ubuntu MATE Remix package selection is pretty much complete and offers a “pure” MATE desktop environment on top of Ubuntu. The testing .iso images do not include anything of Unity, indicators or Compiz by default. Wide hardware support, including VirtualBox, has been integrated.
- The application selections are mostly consistent with the default applications that shipped in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
- Created this super-amazing website. Yes, it needs work and will be improved in due course.
These are the main issues we need to work on:
- Get LightDM to auto login to the LiveCD session.
- Fork the
livecd-rootfs, merge the Ubuntu MATE Remix modifications, build a revised package in our PPA and modify the .iso image builder accordingly.
- Release .iso images for testing.
- Ubuntu MATE Remix Plymouth boot themes and Ubiquity slides.
- Coordinate merging the Ubuntu MATE Remix seeds, tasks and
- Testing, lots of testing. In particular hardware and printer compatibility.
Is there anything you can help with or want to be involved in? If so please get in touch.
The comment section for this old article has been closed. There were no comments. :(
Ubuntu MATE 20.04 Release Notes
Ubuntu MATE 19.10 Release Notes
Ubuntu MATE 19.04 Final Release
Ubuntu MATE 18.04 and 19.04 for GPD Pocket & Pocket 2
Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Beta 1 for Raspberry Pi